Sunday, October 27, 2013

Cakey Birthday

You may have noticed that I have been participating in more challenges lately. There are several reasons for this, including just wanting new inspiration. I feel like becoming more a part of the on-line community. When I left Red Lake Hospital to work closer to home in Bemidji, I lost my group of stampers that would meet with me once a month. Our schedules just did not mesh anymore. Plus, I couldn't look at the schedule anymore and try to find an evening that worked for most if not all of the group :) I have been missing that kind of interaction. And frankly, I have not found a new group yet. I hope to soon. This is not at all about sales for me, although it doesn't hurt :) It is about the socialization factor. Those of you who are reading this post are most likely crafters too. You know what it is like to get a group of people together working on crafts. And talking, and laughing, and sharing the stories of our lives. I really miss that. So, now all of you blog readers out there have become my "group of ladies" to share with. I appreciate any and all who come visit my blog and read my silly stories, and comment on my posts. They make me smile and feel some of the connections I felt with my friends... and I thank you! OK, now on to the stamping! That's what brings you here anyway :)

I used 2 challenges for this card. The Friday Mashup challenge was a theme and/or color challenge. I hit both! The color combo was Crushed Curry, Coastal Cabana, Going Gray, and Smokey Slate. The theme was cake :)


And a sketch from Retro Sketches. They always have great sketches there :)


I was inspired also by Heidi Baks card with the cascading dots. I used a variety of circle stamps from my stash to create that background. It took more time than I thought it would!
Incidentally, this ended up being Charlene's birthday card, cause it was special enough to send to my girl :)

I stamped a little cake in the inside of the card also. You can never have enough cake. This color combo surprised me in how much I enjoyed creating with it. I will have another card to share with you later with the same colors.. I have the main image colored and matted, sitting on my desk waiting for layout inspiration :)

Now, this picture is 2 years old (Geoffrey has put on more muscle and his curly hair has grown back), but it was too late in the evening for me to grab a picture of Geoffrey (now 17) on Friday night when he wore this chainmaille shirt again. He went to a Halloween dance at school, and won a prize for best costume! Geoffrey and Dakota made this shirt. They bought a roll of 14 gauge steel wire, coiled, cut, and linked the circles together to make this shirt all by hand. Dakota has since made and sold 2 of these custom made shirts. They have both made and sold countless bracelets, key chains, and chainmaille cross necklaces. It is pretty cool to see your kids develop a specialized craft :) Proud mama here!

Supplies:




11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your cascading dots!! You did such a great job! I am going to have to try this technique out for myself!

Cindy Brumbaugh said...

Such a neat card, Tanya. I love the dots in the different colors. And...what a neat costume Geoffrey has on- amazing work from two talented crafters! TFS at the Friday MashUp this week;)

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

How amazingly beautiful is this card!!

Lisa said...

The dots look great, and you did a great job using the colors!

That is pretty cool that your son has the patience to make something like that, I could never do it!

Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Friday Mashup!

Cynthia said...

Hello from a fellow Minnesotan! My son would go crazy for a chain mail shirt like that!! Amazingly talented family!!

Heidi Baks said...

That is an awesome costume idea! I'll have to remember that one. We are always looking for bike-friendly costumes.

Well, you know I LOVE your card! The little confetti circles are so fun! Thanks for joining the Friday Mashup this week.

Avery Murphy said...

Your background really stands out to me. I also like the Carb Schmarbs stamp which you used to create another background. I really like your card!!!

Thank you for joining us at The Friday Mashup!

Yapha Mason said...

I love that you are participating in more challenges! This is an amazing card! The colors totally scared me away, but you really rocked them!

Anonymous said...

That is a fantastic card and yay for taking part in challenges! I never seem to have time. Sorry about missing your group. Once I feel better I want us to get together sometime!!

Cindy Major said...

I love the cascading dots background - beautiful!! Great use of the colour combo, too! :D

Cindy

Paper Art Garden said...

Love the cascading dots. You did a wonderful job. The card is beautiful. The colors are so pretty together. It looks like a special card. You go proud Mom!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails