Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Map Birthday

 
I finally got the Deco Labels framelits! I have wanted them for some time, but kept putting off getting them. I should know better. I use the heck out of all of the framelits. For the cost of one and a half punches, you get several nesting shapes, and they take up less space :) 

I am also stretching myself a bit. This is a Dynamic Duos color challenge, and I must admit I am not very good with monochromatic color schemes. This was a hard challenge for me!

I have seen some wonderful sponging lately, it is one of my favorite techniques. I have no problem getting my fingers all inky :) I always seems to wash away when I shampoo my hair anyway. I sponged on the Wisteria Wonder and Perfect plum, then stamped over it with the World Map background stamp in Basic Gray.
I was aiming for masculine with this card so I stayed away from a lot of embellishment. It was hard to resist adding rhinestones and stuff. I am also making an effort to have less bulk on my cards that may need to be mailed, so no buttons either! Hmmm, I think it is time for me to pull out my coaster board and button dies again.
The paper piercing around the Gray Deco Label was done free hand since we don't have a piercing guide for it (I am hoping for one with the Occasions Mini).
  • Stamps: World Map BG, Blue Ribbon
  • Paper: White, Wisteria Wonder, Basic Gray
  • Ink: Wisteria Wonder, Perfect Plum, Basic Gray
  • Other: Big Shot with Deco Labels framelit, Sizzix Circle framelits and Chevron EF, Paper Piercer and Mat, Essentials Paper Piercing Pack, Smokey Slate Chevron ribbon, Signo white gel pen, Sponges, dimensionals

Inside I used the Faux Torn Paper technique. It is super easy, adds depth and detail, but has no bulk! I must admit that I reinked my Basic Gray pad before I stamped on the inside as the map was not as crisp on the front of the card as I would have liked.

Since purple, and world travel, seem to be the themes for my post today, how about a picture from my trip to the Seattle Aquarium in September of 2011. Jamie had a conference there For Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and I tagged along. I did a bunch of exploring by myself and had a great time! There were a ton of things to do within walking/public transit distance from our hotel, and this was one of those things. These starfish were so vibrant! They were inside the main building and in the interactive pool. I am glad I have started to post personal pictures, it gives me an excuse to look at my photos and remember some really fun times! Maybe I'll actually do something with these photos now!

And the best for last... HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my daughter, Charlene!!! She is 23 years old today :) This picture was from our trip to California in September. Love you girl!

3 comments:

Yapha Mason said...

Great card! You are braver than I am to even TRY those colors! I love the faux torn paper technique on the inside -- it looks amazing!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome card! I love how you did the inside to it rocks!

Paper Art Garden said...

The distressed map is beautiful on the front and on the inside. Great use of the colors for the challenge.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails